Sunday, 2 December 2012

Our weekend.

Well last night went well, our friend Pat's 50th was lovely and it turned into a bit of a work reunion, certainly for me. We all worked together for a few years and then I got a new job and left. Tony still works there and keeps me up to speed with the comings and goings.I ended up wearing the blue top with black jeans and my new black boots and it looked really nice, dressy enough but not over the top.There was a loop playing of photos of Pat and her family over the years which was lovely to see.

This morning we set off bright and early to the Country Living Christmas fair in Harrogate.It was freezing cold but we got there in plenty of time and made our way around the various stalls.It all looked a real feast for the eyes, loads of gorgeous goodies and such beautiful craftsmanship. I forgot to take some photos in the exhibition centre itself so I am hoping other bloggers will have done so, sorry! I didn't know what to expect, I have never been to anything like that before and I must admit I thought there would be other things on sale, such as beautiful wrapping paper etc but there wasn't. It was lovely to see the vast array of crafts from decorations to clothes to candles and homewares, toys and food too. We thoroughly enjoyed the food and drink section and Tony bought an assortment of pies and chocolates(mostly for christmas stocking fillers). It's nice being able to try before you buy and the banter between the traders and customers was lovely, a real jolly atmosphere.
I subscribed to Country Living again for another year. I had my last subscription via Tesco clubcard points but this was on offer for £24.99 and included delivery for a year and some lovely free decorations. I bought some gorgeous smelling pot pourri which I will have in our lounge in the coming weeks.The heady smell of cloves hit you as you walked into the centre  but smelled overwhelmingly of christmas so it will be perfect if only for a couple of weeks. I bought some green wool too from a lady who made the most exquisite knitted dolls and clothes. I'm planning more elves and pixies to go with the one I finished yesterday.So easy and quick to knit but they take forever to sew, they are really fiddly but look really nice when done.We didn't buy much else, I could have gone mad with christmas decorations and such but we already have an overwhelming amount , some of which get put straight back into the loft anyway because we have nowhere to put them. There were one or two vintage stalls which I loved but nothing makes you feel older than seeing something described as vintage that you remember from your childhood!

Our purchases made we decided to nip out into Harrogate town itself for a browse.Betty's tea shop was our first port of call.There was a massive queue but as we only wanted coffee and cakes we somehow managed to jump the queue, something to do with only wanting a snack and a small table! Very nice it was too. The town centre had the usual high street shops and we popped into a few of them.Cath Kidston being one, but the prices are quite off putting for me. I wouldnt mind so much if they were made in England (please someone correct me if I am wrong) but they are probably still made abroad for relatively little money and vastly overpriced. I love her stuff but it's out of my price range.Good job there are lookey likeys!!
Anyway, sorry there are no lovely photos to goggle at, you will have to try and imagine for yourselves. Take a peep at Thriftwood blog, Claire went along too and I'm sure she will have posted some. Don't forget my giveaway which I'm going to draw on Tuesday, everyone is welcome to enter it. Enjoy your week!

8 comments:

  1. Glad you had a lovely day! Jx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like it was a lovely weekend xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. IRYPT and can smell the cloves from here.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have had a lovely day Anne hope you have a relaxing evening.xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like a lovely weekend. Glad the night out went well, it's lovely to catch up with old friends, and the Country Living Fair sounds just up my street. I love Harrogate for a wander, and Betty's is always a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Anne, glad you had a lovely time ... I tried to do a post this morning but I'm at my limit for photos so need to sort that out first, but as a technophobe it may take a while! Will share all soon xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a good day Anne. I've never been to Harrogate and would love to get there one day and of course Betty's too. Have a good week.
    Patricia x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the Country Living mag, and always see the fair advertised in it. I would love to go to it some year. I am just a sucker for anything Christmassy really.

    ReplyDelete